Dropping in on The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror™ 10-Miler
After running in The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror™ 10-Miler since its inauguration, I can tell you that things get spookier each year. And by spookier, I mean better! There are more characters on the course, there is more lighting on the course (though I’m not sure that some of the pyrotechnics count as lighting), and there is more going on at the post-run Disney Villains Hollywood Bash. So if you can stand up after running 10 miles in the Florida fall weather (a.k.a. the largest sauna in the history of the world), I highly recommend dropping in on the Bash! For one thing, admission to the Disney Villains Hollywood Bash is included in The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror™ 10-Miler race registration and any non-running friends who came to chEAR you on can purchase tickets!
This will be my third running of the Tower of Terror™ 10-Miler and I’m planning on staying for the entire after-party, AGAIN, thanks to my running buddy who refuses to leave before any party is over. The good news for me (bad news for her) is that the Bash is scheduled to end 30 minutes earlier this year – 3:30 a.m. instead of 4:00 a.m. Of course, when I texted her this morning with the sad news, it didn’t phase her.
We will shut the place down. Again.
Perhaps you don’t have a running buddy who can go all day at the parks, run 10 miles and ride Rock ‘n’ Roller Coaster® Starring Aerosmith three times in a row after midnight without, well, you know…? Well, here are some tips for keeping the after-party in “bash” mode rather than “crash” mode!
1) Whatever you do, don’t plan to set a PR on the course! Take your time, have fun and stay hydrated. (Which applies to all runDisney events, by the way!)
2) Take it easy during the day of the race (this is a “do as I say, not as I do” rule, I must admit). Hydrate and fuel through the day. Take a nap in the afternoon.
3) If you wear a costume (and I highly recommend wearing a costume! This is a “do as I say and DO AS I DO” rule!) or even if you don’t, bring a back-up pair of clothes (or at least undergarments and some baby wipes!) to change into after the race. This is may be my number one rule for enjoying the Bash.
We decided to go the Hero route in 2013.
photo courtesy of runDisney
4) Utilize the gEAR Bag Check! This is crucial to making #3 above work. Plus you can pack your favorite re-fueling goodies in the bag to keep you on your feet without dropping on anything but the Tower of Terror®!
5) When the volunteers at the end of the race offer you a bag of ice or a cold towel – TAKE IT (and thank them for being there)! Cool yourself off and ice what aches. Your body will thank you as you walk to pick up your gEAR.
6) There are lots of places to eat, drink, and sit. I recommend all of them to refuel your body. Don’t do too much sitting though – keep those muscles moving to keep the soreness and stiffness from ruining your next day at the Parks and Mickey’s Not-So-Scary Halloween Party the next night! Yes, we are gluttons for punishment.
7) There are lots of character photo-ops at the Bash and these have increased each year. I’ll admit, I’m not a villain fan (please don’t tell them!), but it is fun to take pictures with them because they can smell fear (or is that post-run aroma?) and really play it up in the photos. Seriously though, I was terrified to have my picture taken with Darth Vader in 2012 – I kept inching further and further away from him only to find myself draped in his cape after this photo was snapped! Now that is terror, my friends.
Can you see the fear?!
8) Take time to meet other runDisney enthusiasts! Despite this being a “ticketed” event, there are quite a few non-runners who attend. But believe me, you will be able to identify your fellow runners and it is always great to get to know them and chances are you might see them running more magical miles in the future!
9) Have fun! There are fun “dance parties” through out Disney Hollywood Studios® and if you don’t want to dance, it is pretty entertaining to watch others get their groove on. The lines for the attractions are hit or miss in terms of length. You may wait for 40-plus minutes or you may just walk on. But there is no doubt that you will get into Toy Story Midway Mania! faster during the Bash than you will (sans FastPass+) any other time! And never, ever, look at your watch. It’s a real buzz-kill at 2:45 to realize that it is actually 2:45 in the A.M.!
10) Remember to thank the Cast Members on your way out in the wee hours of the morning as you leave. Yes, they got paid to be there, but they still pulled an all-nighter so we could have a pixie dusted night!
To get the official word on The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror™ 10 Miler, check out the runDisney website: http://www.rundisney.com/tower-of-terror-10-miler/ and the Official Event Guide for 2014: http://as1.wdpromedia.com/media/rundisney/pdf/tower-of-terror/2014/Tower14_Program.pdf.
Want to know more about The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror™ 10-Miler weekend from others who have experienced it? You got it! Just click here to be linked to posts from some of my fabulous runDisney friends on everything you need to know to have a frightfully good weekend!
Click away for more about the Tower of Terror 10-miler!
I hope to see you there!